The park can only be reached by tour company boats and local community dhows. Kisite Marine Park, HQ situated at the mainland in Shimoni 200m south of the main Shimoni Pier.
85 kms from Mombasa via Ukunda to Shimoni
Msambweni District, Coast Province. The Marine Park lies 6 Km off the Kenyan Coast (at Shimoni) and 8 Km North of the Tanzanian Border
SIZE / LOCATION
39sq km. (Kisite Park: 28km2. Mpunguti Reserve: 11km2).
The Coast is humid with mean annual temperatures ranging from 22-34 C. rainfall is about 500mm pa.
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
At present the park does not operate on smart card system. Entry is by cash only (KSH or US$).
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight at special camp site. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
• Prestine Coral gardens
- Kisite and Mpunguti Islands
- Sandy islands formulate during low tide
- Beautiful and special Sandy beach
- Dolphin watch
- Endermic coconut crab found at lower Mpunguti Island
- Shimoni historical slave cafe Managed by local community while Kenya Wildlife Service provides Capacity building
- Wasini Mangroove women boardwalk by Wasini women self help group while Kenya Wildlife Service provides Capacity building
Comprises more than 250-recorded fish species,
Dolphins, Sea turtles, Whales, Corals, Sea grass, and Gastropods
Many Sea- birds in large nesting colonies and internationally significant numbers of crab-plover and roseate tern which are migratory from Europe coming to nest
WHERE TO STAY
In – Park Accommodation
- There is Currently no accommodation in the reserve. Visitors can stay in Diani town which offers various accommodation options. There are lots of luxurious, comfortable and culturally rich hotels and lodges to choose from.
KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- The Shimoni Bandas.
- Camping site
- Chlobus Campsite
- Mpunguti Special Campsite honeymooners
- The Shimoni gardens
- Shimoni Reef Hotel
- Bird Watching
- Recreational activities that are enviromentally friendly
- Dolphin Watch
- Licenced filming